We all know that you need to keep termites away from your home and other structures, but it might surprise you that termites are quite interesting to learn about too. Here are a few interesting facts about termites.
- Queen termites start out producing fewer eggs, but reach their peak in seven to ten years. This is why it is so important to eliminate a termite colony early so that it won’t increase rapidly later.
- Termites are more prolific in Florida because egg production isn’t suspended during the winter like it is in northern climates.
- A termite colony can grow from under a thousand to over 300,000 in just a couple of years.
- A queen termite can live as long as 50 years, and when she does die, another takes her place to continue growing the colony.
- When a termite colony reaches a certain size, secondary queens are produced that start a nearby nest, which further expands the colony.
- Climate change could bring big changes in termites, as the reduction of cooler weather in some areas could allow termite colonies to become larger and be a problem where previously they were not. This doesn’t change things much for Floridians, but those in northern states could face some unexpected problems.
One of the important considerations about termites is that you need a pest control company that understands termite behavior where you are located and stays on top of any changes that could affect termite control services. At AAA Assassin Enterprises Pest Control, we know that termites are a year-round problem here in Florida. We have been in business for 35 years, so it is safe to say we know how to protect your home from termites and other pests. Reach out today to learn more.